Monday, July 27, 2009

Susie Homemaker

That's me, apparently.  Amazingly.  Spent the day in Freo yesterday (which was beautiful and very Australian, but more about that later), and then headed over to Keith's flat for dinner.  We were planning on cooking pasta and sauce for 10-15 people, but we didn't plan very well...it turned out alright though; we quickly learned that just about any lid, bowl, cup, etc can be used as a plate, that spatulas make GREAT serving spoons, and that college kids will eat spaghetti sauce no matter what temperature it's been cooked at.  Also, Keith doesn't know how to make pasta.  So I took over, and it may have been the most adventurous thing I've done so far.  Two pots of pasta and one pot of sauce going at once, trying to keep everything from boiling over, making sure everyone served themselves quickly so we could fill up the pots again to make more...it was hectic, but kind of empowering?  I had some myself and it tasted alright, pasta was a little starchy, but that may have just been the Coles brand we bought for 99 cents a bag (Keith and I figure someone could get five meals outta that baby, so it's definitely worth it).  After all the cooking was done I was sitting on the couch, eating "the fruits of my labor" and just kind of looking at all the people in the room...mostly Americans, but several Germans, a girl from Denmark, a few people from Singapore...everyone had just met each other within the last 48 hours I think, and I was thinking about how incredible it was, that we all ended up in this room, eating, talking a lot because we didn't have any other form of entertainment.  It's a shame the TV was ever invented, really, because look at what can happen when you put a bunch of people together and leave them to their own devices.  We were there for three hours, probably.
If this semester continues to be anything like last night was, I'm gonna love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment